You should also have a degree in human rights, law, political science, international relations, journalism, communications or similar.
Unfortunately we have no way to handle spontaneous applications or to save applications for future needs. Please keep track of vacancies below.
Programme Officer for Moldova
Civil Rights Defenders is an international human rights organisation with headquarters in Sweden. We defend people’s civil and political rights and empower human rights defenders at risk. In Eastern Europe and Central Asia we closely co-operate with a number of human rights organisations, advocating for improvements in the realm of human rights and empowering human rights defenders at risk. We are now looking to recruit a competent and proactive Programme Officer for Moldova.
Area of Responsibility
The Programme Officer is responsible for carrying out and follow up on our human rights support programme and long term partnerships with human rights organisations in Moldova, including Transnistria.
As programme officer you will:
• Lead the field office in Chisinau, including supervising programme assistant and any interns
• Monitor and analyse the human rights situation in Moldova
• Travel frequently within the country, including to Transnistria
• Identify, assess and propose new partners and activities
• Conduct human rights activities with partners
• Initiate and participate in lobbying and advocacy actions
• Monitor, evaluate and report on partnerships and activities
• Act as a capacity-building resource for our partners
• Contribute to Civil Rights Defenders communications and advocacy work
• Establish and maintain contacts with relevant decision-makers in Moldova, Sweden and internationally.
• Degree in Law, Journalism, Political Science, International Relations or related field
• Practical knowledge of human rights law and international mechanisms for the protection of human rights
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience in human rights work
• Working experience in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, preferably in human rights, and extensive knowledge of the human rights situation in the countries of Eastern Europe and Central Asia
• Documented experience in project management and international advocacy
• Fluency in English and Russian
• Fluency in Romanian (highly desirable)
• Experience in running or working in a small field office (desirable)
Conditions of Employment:
The Programme Officer for Moldova will be based in Chisinau, Moldova with frequent travel to Transnistria and occasional travel within Europe. Duration: 2-year contract with possible extension. Starting date: September 2014
Please submit a cover letter, CV, and contact information for two references to email@example.com as soon as possible. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.