Civil Rights Defenders is Looking for an Asia Director
Civil Rights Defenders (CRD) is an independent expert organisation founded in 1982 in Sweden, with the mission to defend people’s civil and political rights and empower human rights defenders at risk worldwide. CRD has a presence on four continents and is active in some of the world’s most repressive regions. By working in collaboration with 200 local partners and focusing on innovation, the goal is to achieve long-term sustainable change.
In Asia, the organisation closely co-operates with a number of human rights organisations. CRD also advocate for improvements in the realm of human rights in Asia, both with regard to the general public and decision-makers. In addition to long-term support, CRD organise a variety of events, participate in coalitions with local partners, and conduct other joint advocacy and lobbying actions. Providing capacity building support and other kinds of assistance to human rights defenders is also part of our activities, in addition to publishing ad hoc reports on human rights in individual countries of the region. The Asia Director will focus on developing CRD’s work and presence in South East Asia but also in other parts of Asia and explore new opportunities to expand CRD’s current portfolio. The Asia Director is responsible for the activities, budgets and staff within the Asia Programme, as well as development of a regional strategy for Asia and annual plans of action for all target countries.
As a person you are a natural leader with passion and knowledge of how to engage and motivate others. At the same time, you can show decisiveness and achieve results in difficult situations and firmly lead others in times of change.
Areas of responsibility:
- Developing CRD’s current work in the region and to expand the organisation’s presence and activities to other countries in Asia, relevant from a human rights perspective.
- Developing new activities related to the three key objectives of Civil Rights Defenders
- Assessing and making decisions about financial and capacity-building assistance as envisaged by the programme
- Assessing and making decisions on training packages for human rights defenders, including capacity-building initiatives implemented by Civil Rights Defenders
- Frequent travelling and meeting with human rights defenders in the region and regular attendance of important events within the programme, including public representing of Civil Rights Defenders
- Reporting on the programme implementation to the COO and respective donors, in cooperation with members of the Asia team
- Managing and making day-to-day decisions concerning the possible future field offices in Asia (in consultation with the COO and the Financial Manager)
- Writing articles, appeals and statements for the website and the media, and providing the management with draft editorials and supportive documents for debates
- Fundraising for programme continuation and extension
- Academic degree
- At least ten years of experience in working within relevant disciplines in an international environment, preferably experience and knowledge of the Asia region
- Documented experience from management positions and/or of leading high-performance teams
- Ability to form a strategy and translate it into clear objectives and efficient processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Swedish and English, additional Asian languages are meriting
The position is located at the Civil Rights Defenders headquarter in Stockholm and reports to the COO. Business travels internationally will be required about 60 days/year with flexible planning.
We offer you a key role in an open and dynamic environment, where you have the opportunity to influence your work and the further development of Civil Rights Defenders. We sit in a fresh new office in the centre of Stockholm!
If you are interested, please apply as soon as possible by sending your application and CV in English to email@example.com, we will handle applications throughout the application period. Please mark your application with ref.no 4564. If you have any questions regarding the role, please contact Clara Hoas, +46 730 48 13 44 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tags: Asia Director, Job, and Vacancies.
Regions: Southeast Asia.