The Misuse of Anti-Terrorism Laws in Africa with Civil Rights Defenders at the UN Human Rights Council
During the 29th session of the UN Human Rights Council which will be held in Geneva on June 16th, 2015 Civil Rights Defenders will co-sponsor an event entitled “The Misuse of Anti-Terrorism Laws in Africa”.
This event will discuss and analyse anti-terrorist legislation trends across the African continent and how they are often used as a smokescreen to stifle dissenting voices instead of addressing genuine national security concerns.
Mesfin Negash, Programme Director for the East & Horn of Africa at Civil Rights Defenders will be one of five high profile participants partaking in the panel discussion that will also include the following:
- David Kaye, United Nations Special Rapporteur on the promotion and protection of the right to freedom of opinion and expression
- Leslie Lefkow, Deputy Director, Africa Division, Human Rights Watch
- Gabriel Dolan, Board Member, Muslims for Human Rights, Kenya
- Mesfin Negash, Civil Rights Defenders, and former Editor of Addis Neger, Ethiopia
- Soleyana Gebremichael, Zone 9/ Ethiopian Human Rights Project, via Skype
For further details please click on the link belowEvents and News.
Tags: Anti Terrorist Legislation, East and Horn of Africa, and UN Human Rights Council.
Regions: East Africa.