Vacancy – Programme Officer Burma
Civil Rights Defenders is an international human rights organisation with headquarters in Sweden. We defend people’s civil and political rights and empower human rights defenders at risk in Sweden and worldwide. We are now looking to recruit a competent and proactive human rights expert as Programme Officer for Burma.
Area of Responsibility:
The Programme Officer is responsible for our human rights programme and long-term partnerships with human rights organisations in primarily Burma. The PO is also working with the Asia team to develop and implement our strategy elsewhere in the region.
As programme officer you will:
• Monitor, analyse and report on the human rights situation in Burma;
• Conduct human rights activities with partners;
• Initiate and participate in lobbying and advocacy actions;
• Act as a capacity-development resource for our partners;
• Monitor, evaluate and report on grants, partnerships and activities;
• Identify, assess and propose new partners and activities;
• Establish and maintain contacts with key stakeholders in Burma and internationally.
• Travel frequently within the country and the region
• Assist in fundraising
Qualifications and skills:
• A minimum of five years experience from human rights work;
• Experience from field work on human rights in Southeast Asia, and expert knowledge of the human rights situation in Burma;
• Documented experience of work on grant/project management and advocacy;
• Fluency in English. Burmese language skills are a merit, especially minority languages;
• Experience in running or working in a small field office (highly desirable).
• MA in Journalism, Political Science, Law, or related field and/or related work experience.
Conditions of Employment:
The Programme Officer for Burma will be based in Rangoon with frequent travel within the country and the region and occasional travel to Sweden. We offer a 1-year contract with possible extension. Starting date: As soon as possible.
Deadline for application: We will be reviewing applications as they come in. Send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information, please contact email@example.comCategories: Vacancies.